It is now ensured that the Otto Wagner Site will serve as a university location in the future. With the approval of both the CEU Board and the Vienna City Council, planning and implementation now begins. The university starts operations in 2025.
The building lease agreement with the CEU is concluded and will run for a period of 100 years. It provides for the university to take over the renovation of the buildings in the "core zone” itself. This zone used by the university amounts to one third of the area available. The property is owned by Vienna Business Agency, a fund of the City of Vienna. It was responsible for negotiating with the university on the part of the city. It has already been agreed upon a possible extension of the use of the Otto Wagner Site by the CEU for another 100 years.
Once the planning phase will be completed in December 2022, the construction phase will begin and is in turn scheduled to be completed by mid-2025. After all, CEU's teaching operations with around 2,000 students are to start in autumn 2025 at the Otto Wagner Site. By that time the accommodation for students and lecturers to be developed by WSE (Wiener Standortentwicklung GmbH, a subsidiary of Wien Holding) will also be completed. The entire Otto Wagner Site will remain open to the public.
- Autumn 2017: First contact established by CEU/George Soros; the Vienna Business Agency is commissioned with negotiations
- April 2018: City of Vienna and CEU sign Memorandum of Understanding to establish a university campus at the Otto Wagner Site
- September 2019: CEU starts teaching activities at Quellenstraße 51 (district Favoriten) as an interim solution
- June 2020: formal decision on the building lease agreement for the CEU core campus
- September 2020 to December 2022: planning phase
- January 2023 to mid 2025: construction phase
- Autumn 2025: planned start of CEU's teaching operations at the Otto Wagner Site
Press Release "Successful conclusion of negotiations between CEU and City of Vienna" (PDF)
Vienna, 24 June 2020