Zoom Talk with Jörg Friedrich (Co-Founder Paintbucket Games, Berlin)
The questions on how history will be made available to future generations are still to be answered. Digital games enable users to become an active part in historical-like situation with an unprecedented intensity. Individual experiences can exceed the effect from ‚classical‘ history lessons. Ultimately, digital games are very likely to have a significant impact on what is understood by history and how historical understanding is culturally passed on. The question is: How?
- How can real memories find their way into a medium, which allows recipients to create their own stories?
- What methods can be used to fulfill players’ need for agency, while keeping true to the topic?
- How can game mechanics be used to enhance the understanding for a historical situation?
- How can video games contribute to building and sustaining a culture of remembrance?
- How can entertainment and a critical reflection of the past be balanced?
During this talk, the expert will try to discuss and answer these questions and discuss history through games in general and in “Through the Darkest of Times” in particular.
More about the speaker at subotron.com
The lecture series SUBOTRON arcademy is supported by the Vienna Business Agency.
The talk will be held in English / Der Talk wird auf Englisch abgehalten. No registration required / Für die Teilnahme ist keine Anmeldung erforderlich.
Image © Paintbucket Games
19:00 – 21:00
Virtuell, Digital International