We have inherited our cities, but nobody explained to us how to understand them. INHERITED ARCHITECTURE aims to be an educational app which helps you recognise architectural styles and to understand the "language" of the city. Why is the building of the University of Vienna built in a "fake" Renaissance style and where to find a "true" one? Such and many more questions are to be answered walking around the city, looking at buildings using the INHERITED ARCHITECTURE app!
Why INHERITED ARCHITECTURE:
1. It is an ARCHITECTURAL DATABASE created by a community of people from Vienna about Vienna’s well-known, as well as less popular buildings, sorted out by architectural style and construction time;
2. It is a perfect TOOL to discover Vienna from a new perspective for locals as well as for tourists and helps people make sense of architecture;
3. It promotes SUSTAINABLE TOURISM by using sustainable modes of transportation and offering walking as well as biking archi-tours
What the INHERITED ARCHITECTURE App consists of:
• MAIN FEATURES: hints on how to recognise buildings of more than 15 architectural styles;
• EXAMPLES: buildings from Vienna as well as world-famous examples of a certain architectural style;
• MAPS & WALKING TOURS: interactive maps for each architectural style. E.g. just open a map if you want to make a walking tour around Baroque Vienna;
• ARCH QUIZ: to check your knowledge and to strengthen your skills;
In the future we expect the INHERITED ARCHITECTURE app in all capitals of Europe and the whole world. In addition we want to implement automatic recognition of architectural styles from a camera photo, that you can upload directly to the app;
INHERITED ARCHITECTURE app expected to downloadable on your phone by spring / summer 2021.
Diana Terenteva, Wien, Österreich